Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Lost City Rediscovered




For the past 5 days i've been scouring the jungles of Colombia's caribbean coast with a group of 10 adventurers looking to find the infamous Ciudad Perdia -- the ancient capital city of the Tayrona Indian Nation. Yes, we did finally find the city and found it to be quite impressive. I will admit, however, that our find may not have been completely possible without the help of 3 Colombian guides that setup our accomadations and cooked for us... or without the help of the very useful mules that carried our supplies to the campsite.

The morning of our second day we had the rare privilege to tour a "non-working" cocaine factory where we gathered under a small tent in the jungle to learn from a guy that "no longer did this for a living" how one could take coca leaves and turn them into the lucrative white substance we all know as cocaine. I unfortunately got very bored during the lecture and decided to go sit on a "bench" towards the edge of the tent. Unfortunately it was actually his chemistry lab and I knocked all of his chemicals and stash all over the ground!! Anyhow, he didnt kill me so i'm not sure if he was worried i'd report him to the police for breaking laws or if he just figured that since it was all a farce it wasnt worth messing with.

My other problem on this trip was that I thought that my Chaco sandles would be much more usefull than hiking boots as we were going to be crossing multiple rivers and I would be able to carry on smuggly since i wouldnt have to take off my shoes while everybody else did. This tactic worked great until I realized that the straps on my sandels acted as sandpaper and completely rubbed swathes of skin raw. Today I can barely walk due to all of the open sores. Not to worry though!! I've been to the pharmacy and have gotten plenty of meds to remidy the situation.

Ciudad Perdida itself was good although I think I may officially be done with visiting ancient ruins. Although their architecture and traditions are interesting they're just so hard to get to. I need something easier.

Also... one quick note! I tried spell checking this and it appears to be stuck on Spanish so I apologize for all the errors that I'm sure are throughout!

No comments:

Post a Comment